Originally Posted by 16bore
Someone please explain what "better" bullet selection means?

ELDX = ELDX

Berger = Berger

Corlokt = Corlokt

TTSX = TTSX

Partition = Partition

No?

You nailed it on the head 16 😊😊😊

In just about every comparable weight hunting bullet made the 270 has a higher BC and SD than the 280 with the exception of a few bullets that always seem to be referred to as the Holy grail! It's funny how in the same sentence some campfire members will expound on the superiority of 280 bullet selection and in the very next breath sight only 3 bullets that are superior to maybe 3% of hunters that use them. Then there's the argument that the 280 has 175 grain bullets but the argument doesn't hold much water with me because when I think about 175 grain bullets the 7 mag is the logical answer.

In comparing the 270 130 tsx to a 280 150 tsx I would take a 130 pushed at 3150 over a 150 pushed at 3000 every day of the week and so would most hunters who understand how Barnes bullets works.

Comparing the 270 to 280AI the only difference I've noticed is all my 270s feed like butter and my 280AI that went down the road fed rounds into the chamber and I will leave it at that. It's a common trait in comparing a tapered cartridge with a 17Β° shoulder to a non tapered cartridge with a 40Β° shoulder.

Concerning long range hunting IMO the 7mm bullets are stuck in a rut! There big enough for deer but fail in comparison to 30 cal bullets when hunting elk sized game. The 6.5s have deer covered by a mile with far less recoil and are more efficient. A 300 win mag is a better caliber for elk than a 280AI

In the end I'm probably not saying anything the OP doesn't already know. IMO this argument.....ummmm.....I mean discussion😁 comes down to the platform more than anything else. I still would recommend a Barrett Fieldcraft over a Kimber and I think the extra money spent would be well worth it

Trystan

Good bullets properly placed always work, but not everyone knows what good bullets are, or can reliably place them in the field