Originally Posted by Starman

.270 180 Woodleigh BC .513 does correctly stabilise with 1:10

and its a serious BG hunting bullet not a BC club show pony that won't take a saddle.

The Berger twist rate calculater shows the 180 .277” Woodleigh bullet (.513 B.C.) to be “marginally stabilized” at 2500fps from a .270 1-10 twist rate.

It also shows a 175g Woodleigh (.510 B.C.) as “stabilized” from a 7mm RM 1-9.5 twist at 2800 fps.

Thanks, but I’ll take the 7mm RM and the "BC club" 175. Fully stabilized, flatter shooting and higher velocity and energy downrange.

Originally Posted by Starman
Originally Posted by Coyote_Hunter

The “super duper BC pills and xtra long monometals” are “out of the game for most” factory rifles, regardless of chambering.

Yep.

most people use common twists with common bullet weights and get the job done at most common ranges.

Im a 7mm fan , but the hype about 280 AI and better bullet choices is exaggerated, as are some muzzle velocity claims.
ie; I doubt some are based on 'safe' loads or common length barrels.

When I asked you to show me a better deer/elk/both cartridge it was in reference to the 7mm RM, not the .280AI. Given only factory ammo, I’ll take a .270 over a .280 or .280AI. Given handloads, I’ll take the .280 or .280AI every time.

The facts are that you cannot show me a universally better deer/elk/both cartridge because “better” is so highly subjective. One person’s pudding is another’s poison.

Besides, my 6.5-06AI with a 130g Scirocco II (B.C. .571) at 3161fps is clearly “better” than any .270. Five out of 8 clay pigeons at 600 yards would agree. smile

Last edited by Coyote_Hunter; 08/24/18. Reason: .277" not .288" - fat finger error

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.