Originally Posted by BWalker
Originally Posted by rickt300
Originally Posted by Coyote_Hunter
Keep telling yourself that. Are you including the one you gut shot that jumped onto private?

That is the one.

If you've never lost an animal, good for you.

How about the one you hit "a little far back" but never found?

Amazing, never thought you would act like you never made a bad shot on game. Seems to me you haven't hunted much.

Ive been hunting all summer. How about you?
Ive made one bad shot. I was 15 years old and I shot a Dall sheep in the horn. Jacked another shell in and dropped him. Other than that, no rodeos, but to be fair Im pretty choosey when and where I shoot. Shooting an animal on a property line isnt the best idea and saying an animal shot and didnt recovered doesnt counts as a loss is convoluted logic at best.

A. I did not shoot the elk on a property line. At the time, no animal I'd ever shot had made it far enough to reach the fence. This was a first.

B. The elk was shot and recovered by another hunter and it ended up in a freezer, not lost. Nothing convoluted about that.
If the other hunter had not shot it, I'm about 99% certain I would have recovered it myself. My best guess it it would have either jumped back over the fence onto public land (I don't think it had the strength left to do so) or it would have laid back down. The only question in my mind is whether the landowner would have allowed me access to get the elk.

C. If you want to count the elk as lost, go ahead and do so. I don't.

D. Tomorrow I'll still be me and you'll still be a sanctimonious ja.

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.