Originally Posted by smokepole
Originally Posted by Trystan

Concerning long range hunting IMO the 7mm bullets are stuck in a rut! There big enough for deer but fail in comparison to 30 cal bullets when hunting elk sized game. The 6.5s have deer covered by a mile with far less recoil and are more efficient. A 300 win mag is a better caliber for elk than a 280AI

LOL, comparing a 270 and a 7 mm and it's the 7 mm bullets that are "stuck in a rut," that's priceless. Where do you come up with this stuff?

Probably the same place you heard that a .280 "fails" on elk-sized game I'll bet.

I see 270 guys do it all the time, it’s like they feel intimidated by the 280rem’s and down right terrified of the 280ai’s.

On paper the 280’s win every time, in real world situations there really isn’t much difference. The rifle the bullet sits in will make way more difference than the caliber. If money is an option and you don’t want to reload then get a 270. Nosler and hornady both make good factory loads for the 280ai, and reloading will allow you to make cheap premium quality bullets for either.

I own all three dogs in this fight so this is truly an unbiased opinion.