Originally Posted by 16bore
......so then the OP yelled "phuqq it!!!", bought a box of Corlokts, kilt him a deer, and lived happily ever after.

The end.

A coworker and I have been working together in Miami this last week. He is a tournament fisherman and deer hunter from PA. We've talked quite a bit about hunting this week and this is what I learned about him:

1. He's a couple years younger than me, which means he's another old phart.
2. He uses a 308 Win.
3. He has used white box Winchester ammunition for years.
4. He typically buys a box of ammo, takes a couple of sight-in shots and goes hunting.
5. He hunts deer every year.
6. He cannot recall ever taking a shot over 150 yards and most are under 100.

This year he got talked into buying a new type of ammo but he couldn't remember what it was. He remembered the "red tip" and went online to see if he could find it. Turns out it was Hornady ammo (he recognized the box) but he still doesn't know if it was SST or GMX bullets or the weight. He thinks "maybe" a 165g SST load.

When he asked about recommended group size at 100 yards I asked him how big the kill zone was on his target (deer). He made about a 6" circle with his hands. Told him 3" was more than good enough.

A .30-30 and a flat nose bullet would work just fine for him, B.C. be damned.

Last edited by Coyote_Hunter; 08/25/18. Reason: spelnig

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.