Originally Posted by 444Matt
Who hunts with a 280AI and why? I’m a huge 270 fan, insert gay joke here, but am tempted by the better bullets and all that the 280AI offers. I’m not really a long range guy at all but wouldn’t mind have the higher bc bullets and extra velocity just in case one day I am. Right now I think getting a 280AI for me would be more of “keeping up with the Jones’s” than anything practical for my typical under 300yd hunting. That being said I’m a rifle looney and will listen to any good arguments. Platform will probably be a Kimber.

I'll give you a good argument.

Ruger blue/synthetic Hawkeye .280 Rem for $499.
https://www.cdnnsports.com/280-hm77rp-22-syn.html?___SID=U#.W3uf7ZNKjGI

Bought one of these in stainless/synthetic a few years back and love it. Sub-MOA shooter. Ringing my steel gongs at 500 is child's play. The clay pigeons at 600 are more of a challenge. smile

Neither a .270 Win or a .280AI but arguably the best of both worlds, especially if handloaded to .270 and .280AI pressures. (65,000 SAAMI MAP vs the .280 Rem SAAMI MAP of 60,000psi)

Brass is plentiful and priced about the same as .270 Win.

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.