Originally Posted by Coyote_Hunter

The real question for me is “How much better off would he be if using the 180g Woodley?”

You didn't like my question so you made up your own instead to replace it.
born politician.

The OP is “not really a long range guy at all” that typically hunts at 300 yards or less

So .270 he owns now is adequate even with a marginal stability 180 WL.

You admit that the 180g Woodley might not be the best past 500 yards..

what I actually said:
.."GSC bullet site indicates a stability factor of 1.4 or greater is adequate for a projectile if;
'general hunting out to 500 metres'.."

...which more than covers the OPs 300 yd needs.

2700fps may be reachable but I have not seen any pressure test results for 180g loads other than Hodgdon, who lists 2540fps
maximum at 50,600 CUP with a 24” barrel.

Sensible people would not refer to Nosler ,Speer or Hornady velocity /pressure figures to gauge AFrames
so why do you cite Barnes 180 results when we are talking 180 WL....?

I’m not arguing that a 7mm is “better”, just pointing out that that a .270 isn’t necessarily better.

but You kept pushing 7-Mag into this thread, saying you prefer 'fully stabilised' 7mm over a marginal stability ..270
...So you believe that makes a real world noticeable difference and is better,....yes?

I don’t know which claims you are talking about but both Hodgdon and Nosler list 2800fps for 175g bullets in the .280AI.

The Hodgdon pressure is 61,100psi, well below the 65,000psi limit for the .270 Win and well within the safety margins for modern rifles.

Nosler cited velocities are not achievable according to you.
and its not safe to assume pressures in the Hodgdon test rifle will be replicated in a whole range of other individual rifles out there using
the same load data and a chronograph.

Originally Posted by Starman
it doesn't sound anything like a worrysome situation in practical real world terms, but those who obsess with number crunching model
ideals could sure invent something to worry about.... Berger does not say its wrong to hunt with a factor of 1.45,

http://www.bergerbullets.com/twist-rate-calculator/

GSC bullet site indicates a stability factor of 1.4 or greater is adequate for a projectile if; 'general hunting out to 500 metres'.
considering GSC are made in Africa and used in Africa, I gather they know what they are talking about in their technical advice
to hunters. [end quote]

I agree – for most hunters and most situations, arguing over which bullet or cartridge is “better” based on B.C. is foolish. Most bullets will work
for most situations most of the time. And for those times they don’t, a higher B.C. bullet is rarely the answer.

BC?.....I was clearly addressing stability, and only because you had made an issue specifically about marginal stability,

> does 1.45 stab. 180 WL genuinely concern you regarding the OPs stated 300 yd needs...?

iF not, ... why did you go to the trouble of bringing up your Berger calc. 'marginal stability' ?

Berger did not say it was wrong to hunt with 1.45 and GSC states 1.4 and up is quite acceptable,
so what exactly is your issue with 'marginal stability' of 1.45 ?

-Bulletproof and Waterproof don't mean Idiotproof.