Originally Posted by beretzs
That's a cool post Taylor. My little brother is going on his first elk with me this Fall. He's got a little Ruger 270 Winchester and just started loading his own ammo this year. Being his looney big brother I told him to buy some H4831SC and give the new 140 Tipped TBBC's a try. Well, he did a little bit of basic load work and started punch decent groups at a 100 yards under an 1".. Well, Saturday we had a chance to shoot at 250 yards and he proceeded to shoot three groups of 3 at 250 with not one of them going over 2". Plus he has one of the fixed 6X's on the rifle. He asked me if I'd hunt with that and I gave him a resounding "Hell YES".. That was shooting out of the back of the truck over my MR pack. I put the Magnetospeed on the muzzle just to get an idea of speed and it ran 2910 for a 3 shot average.. I told him that I'd hunt nearly anything with that combo. Maybe not a LR sorta set up, it'll crush anything out to 400 and that is still a fairly long shot for me in the field.

He still wants a 7mm or 300 magnum, just cause he is like the rest of us and wants it, but after a fairly decent amount of elk and deer, I don't know of too much that'll change the outcome of most of our hunting scenarios even with a little more speed or bullet weight.

Good luck, can't wait to get it out in the field.. Looking forward to posting a picture or two of the lad with his first elk and his 270...

Tell him to stick with the .270 Win and buy a .375 H&H or Ruger. Then he can save all that money for hunting the world, and not to worry chasing the holy grail rifle. Worst thing in the world you could do to him is get him started reloading, those damn manuals got me chasing the perfect cartridge and playing with a few wildcats. I went to the 6.5X55, 6.5-06, 7-08, .280 Rem, .280 GNR, and 7mm Rem Mag looking for a better mouse trap than the .270. I still have the .270 in a couple rifles and not one single 6.5 or 7mm left in my safe.

I hope your brother lets the air out of a big one this fall!