Originally Posted by beretzs

That's a cool post Taylor. My little brother is going on his first elk with me this Fall. He's got a little Ruger 270 Winchester and just started loading his own ammo this year. Being his looney big brother I told him to buy some H4831SC and give the new 140 Tipped TBBC's a try. Well, he did a little bit of basic load work and started punch decent groups at a 100 yards under an 1".. Well, Saturday we had a chance to shoot at 250 yards and he proceeded to shoot three groups of 3 at 250 with not one of them going over 2". Plus he has one of the fixed 6X's on the rifle. He asked me if I'd hunt with that and I gave him a resounding "Hell YES".. That was shooting out of the back of the truck over my MR pack. I put the Magnetospeed on the muzzle just to get an idea of speed and it ran 2910 for a 3 shot average.. I told him that I'd hunt nearly anything with that combo. Maybe not a LR sorta set up, it'll crush anything out to 400 and that is still a fairly long shot for me in the field.

He still wants a 7mm or 300 magnum, just cause he is like the rest of us and wants it, but after a fairly decent amount of elk and deer, I don't know of too much that'll change the outcome of most of our hunting scenarios even with a little more speed or bullet weight.

Good luck, can't wait to get it out in the field.. Looking forward to posting a picture or two of the lad with his first elk and his 270...

Your little brother is good to go for elk. But you already knew that. smile

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.