Originally Posted by Trystan

(My quote omitted for brevity - C_H)

I think your mistaking me for Starman on a fair amount of this post.

Besides, I already told you I own a 6.5 and that makes your 7 rem mag argument for the most part obsolete!

Trystan

I also own a .6.5 (-06AI) and agree the 6.5's are fine cartridges. If I was purchasing today, my beloved .257 Roberts would be a 6.5 Creedmoor instead. I'm not really arguing for or against a .270 or one of the .28's as much as I am the stupidity of claims that a particular cartridge is "better" because of a higher B.C. bullet for it. B.C. values don't make a lot of difference until well past where most shots are taken. I used 160g Speer Grand Slams, B.C. .389, in my 7mm RM for 20+ years and never realized I was handicapped. My last elk was taken with a 160g Grand Slam at 411 lasered yards (4 steps and down forever) and would have been just at dead at much longer ranges.

My 6.5-06AI is absolutely great for what it was designed for but is heavier than I want to carry when elk hunting. Even though it pretty much does the same thing as my 7mm RM out to ranges well past where I'm willing to take shots at game (i.e. past 600 yards max), the 7mm RM would be my choice every time because of the weight issue - screw the B.C. differences.

The point of my posts is that whole concept of "better" is meaningless without specific criteria. Since each person's situation is unique to them, what is "better" for one person may be a poor choice for another.

Sorry if I got you and Starman confused.

Last edited by Coyote_Hunter; 08/24/18. Reason: deleted repeated word

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.