Originally Posted by BWalker
Originally Posted by Coyote_Hunter
Originally Posted by BWalker
Keep telling yourself that. Are you including the one you gut shot that jumped onto private?

That is the one.

If you've never lost an animal, good for you.

How about the one you hit "a little far back" but never found?

Same one.

Biggest blood trail I've ever seen at the start. Very dark blood so we think liver shot. Blood on the brush on both sides of the trail later on, so a through-and-through. We followed the trail over a ridge, across a high valley and over another, higher ridge before losing it. By then the blood trail had diminished to just a tiny spot every 25 feet or so and we couldn't find it again. We think the cow jumped a fence to follow the rest of the herd but we had no proof. Depending on which way it went it after we lost the trail it could have been on one of three different ranches. We looked for it until too dark to see blood and again the next morning with no success.

You're probably thinking about one I shot that was taken by another hunter. It jumped a fence to private land, ran a ways, turned back and stopped at the fence. I don't think it had the strength left to jump the fence and thought it was going to lay down. We never found out as a hunter on the private land shot it. Had he not done so I think it would have been an easy recovery, provided we could get permission from the landowner to do so. While I didn't recover it, I don't consider that one "lost" as it ended up in someone's freezer.

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.