Originally Posted by MarineHawk
Originally Posted by Hesp
When shooting long range across a canyon there can be multiple cross winds you are totally unaware off blowing at different velocities & angles. Also up drafts & down drafts. The shooter has no way of knowing. You may have a super accurate rifle but your bullet could arrive several inches off.

That's something I think gets overlooked--that the wind speed along the path of the bullet may not be what you're experiencing where you are. That's why I doubt I would take a shot on an animal beyond 400 yards, unless it was really calm.

Originally Posted by Hesp
Elk have a tremendous stride. If an elk is moving at just a slow trot they can move forward 2 to 3 feet before your bullet arrives at 200 yds. depending on the velocity of your bullet. This can mean a gut shot or a total miss.

I hit a bear about 8” behind where I was aiming with a 300gr bullet starting at about 2,750 fps. Bear was 97 yds away, walking left to right at about 4 mph. Later, I was curious, so I used a ballistic calculator to determine time of flight, which was 0.12 seconds. 4 m/h = 5.9 f/s. 5.9 f/s x 0.12 s = 0.706 ft = 8.5”. So, that bear moved about 8” between discharge and impact. Bear still went down, but if the shot was at 200 yds, without leading it, I would have been off by a little more than 17”--even if it just was walking. Since then, all but one of the critters I have shot were standing still, but I always think about that now when hunting. I have been stressing this point to hunters for years. Some listen, some don't.

Excellent , you have the understanding of experience!!!!! You can't beat real in the field experience. I'm sure this will stick with forever. I have been stressing this point for years to my students in hunter safety classes & other hunters. Some listen, some don't.

Last edited by Hesp; 08/19/18.