Originally Posted by ElkSlayer91
You do realize someone who consistantly tags 300+ class Bulls probably does "know" how to Elk Hunt?

That all depends, which ranch do you hunt on? I know of guys who've killed 400-class bulls who know next to nothing about elk or elk hunting.

Originally Posted by smokepole
No, it was not. 400 yards is not "long range" and the OP said he may have to shoot out to 400 which means anywhere from zero to 400 yards. As others have pointed out that usually means closer to zero than 400.
Ummm....The OP said, "400 and BEYOND. If you want to debate, you might want to start by being TRUTHFUL

Wow, you must've been hell on wheels in your high school drama club, but give me a break. Change the OP's parameters to "out to 500 yards " and not a damn thing I said above changes--it's still not "long range" and he's still more likely to get a shot closer to zero than 500. Being so far above the point of aim at mid-ranges as you suggest is at best a solution in search of a problem and at worst a stupid idea. In more ways than one.

But as long as we're going back to what the OP said, and reading it carefully, and making sure we're being TRUTHFUL, let me ask you this. When you said what I've quoted below, what were you thinking?

...thus my reason to show the man, with facts, how flat the 7mm-08 can shoot and kill, without having to mess with adjustments, out to 400 yds…..when the boiler room target on a Bull elk has a diameter of sixteen (16) inches.

I know the bigger the target, the better it fits your argument in favor of the infinite point blank kill zone, but you did see where the OP said (twice) that he was hunting cows, right? You'd think that a guy who consistently put 300-class bulls on the ground would know that a cow is smaller than a bull, right? Or, were you just being "UNTRUTHFUL?"

A wise man is frequently humbled.