Just about any reasonable bullet with any reasonable cal will work if an elk is shot broadside thru the lungs. What I have seen over the years is when an elk is only partiality visible thru trees or other vegetation. You may only have a short time to make a shot from a very angled position. Your bullet will have to penetrate massive muscle & bones in order to make a killing shot. I have observed this type of situation many times with hunters over the years. Me & my family members have also had to make shots like this. You may only have one chance to put the elk down. If your bullet does not penetrate sufficiently in heavier cover you may not have an opportunity for a follow up shot. It is easy to have a wounded & lost animal.. When presented with this type of shot I want the most dependable toughest deep penetrating bullet available.. I consider C&C bullets that may work fine on a broadside rib cage shot totally unsuitable for these difficult angled shots & generally unsuitable for elk. This is not a 125lb deer but a 500 to 700lb's in a mature animal.. Any one who has processed an elk in the field knows their hide is considerably thicker & tougher than any deer. You will always hear about & see pictures of elk some one took with their C&C deer bullet but will never hear about animals wounded & lost. I have observer literately thousands of hunters over the years at site in days at the local range. I can't believe at how many out of state hunters will pay $$$$$ for their hunt & then skimp on the ammo they use. Most of these hunters have never even touched their rifles since last hunting season. From what I have seen the truly knowledgeable informed hunter capable of accurately placing a shot in the field is in the small minority. [Linked Image]
This Barnes 6.5 130gr TSX struck a rib far back & then traveled a good 3ft stopping 12 to 14inches up the neck. It still weights 129.8grs. It expanded to almost 60 cal & as you see the sharp pedals were exposed to to do sever cutting. This bullet was launched from a Savage rifle in 260 Rem at about 2800fps.The range was about 185yds. Regardless of the cartridge you use this type of bullet is what me & my family use for elk. There are always easy shots presented but there are the tough shots you will encounter if you hunt regular.

Last edited by Hesp; 08/18/18.