I found that a plain Duplex works great for me so like to zero anywhere from +1" to +2" @ 100, then shoot off a rest out to 500yds. I then mark the group (3 shots) and go back to the 300yd starting range. I see where the group "subtends" near the crosshair, at 350yds, 400, 450, then 500 , the group will be low, so I turn the power down until the group subtends the top edge of the bottom post ( again a Duplex style) and write down what power scope was on for that load. I write it down because sometimes I'll switch the scope with another Brand and it is usually different. I do that because I "naturally" want to hold high at longer range, so Kentucky Drop comes easy for me. Along with a small set of 8x Binocs I take a small , shirt pocket size rangefinder (usually one up to 500yds) because I have missed some shots by misjudging the eyeball range. Especially if the sun is on me and he is in the shade or vice versus. When in the timber, I'm still good for threading the needle. Myself, I do "pretty good" eyeballing out to around 300yds, then its a SWAG! I have almost always been able to use the rangefinder, and if they are walking, I usually pass on the shot. I hunt by myself and I have shot them as close as 250yds up the knife ridge above me, and when I got up there, there were hundreds of tracks, many game trails. I love snow on the ground, and I can glass around me and find either them or some blood. No snow....pretty dang tough to find them, that's why I like to break them down, and "for me" that is .270/.308/30.06 with Premium bullet "minimum". I "prefer" 35 Whelen/338-06/300 & 338 Mags. I even used a remarkably handy, pure factory Mod 700 BDL SS .375 H&H ( the Classic .375 is great too) with the 300 Sierra. Now we have Premium 250-260s for it. I will use my new to me 7x57 on elk, but I will use a Premium bullet and load it on the heels of .270 pressures! If Only had access to factory, I'd just stay in the timber. I have a hunting buddy out here who has used his Browning BLR in .308/150 Corlokts on mule deer/elk and one big cow Bison. So yeah, a 7mm/08 will work too. Only way you will know for sure...just go do it, get the experience, if you make a kill, do a good necropsy on the bullet channel. If you felt the longer ranges intimidate you ( they sure did me at first!) then adjust either your equipment or your hunting style. Have a ball dude! smile

Last edited by Jim_Knight; 08/19/18.