I've hesitated to post this, since I know it's been covered before and I know the answer already, but here goes.........

I'm getting ready for my first elk hunt in Oct. Cow elk in Montana is the plan, with the slight possibility of antelope (pending the draw that we should know about any day now). I want to take my 7mm-08 and leave my 30-06 at home, but several of my friends and family think I'm crazy. Of course they are the same guys that think they need a 7mmRM to kill whitetails. confused confused... One family member practically begged me to take his .264 WM, but I don't want to carry a 26" barrel, 9 lb rifle. If that is what I wanted, I would have bought one long ago. I also was hesitant to use the .264 when he told me that his 140 accubond load was running 3300+ fps and his 120 TTSX load was running 3500 fps shocked shocked!! IIRC, both of those are over 200 fps faster than max book loads!!

So, my 7mm-08 is loaded with 140 accubonds at just under 2900 fps and shoots just under moa to 400 yards. I also have a 120 TTSX load at 3150 fps, that shoots a little better than that. So am I crazy for taking my "little" gun after cow elk? Which load would you use, assuming I may have to reach out to 400 or beyond? I'm fully confident in my abilities to 400 yds, as I've killed a pile of deer that far, but I'd rather get close obviously. Right now I'm leaning to the 140 AB, just for the better down range energy, but I could go either way.

Thoughts?????