Originally Posted by Dogshooter

An 8” MPBR is still a recipe for misses, as far as I’m concerned.... it’s an old school philosophy that’s practical, but better left to Open Sights... and open sight ranges. I use a 6” MPBR on the Open Sighted Muzzleloaders.... that’s good for about 150 yards. The MPBR theory is solid, provided we don’t take it to extremes and try to cover all bases with it.

A 16” MPBR, means that for a significant portion of the bullets flight, it will be 6”-8” above the LOS.... and that +6” occurs at the ranges most elk are actually shot (125-275 yards-ish). I’m with Buzz, the vast majority of critters I miss/see missed in the field..... are shot over. 6”+ over LOS leaves a lot of room to miss with.

Oh there’s no doubt about it- MPBR, as it is most commonly used, is a relatively poor way to approach it. Even with a rudimentary understanding of trajectory, group size, error probability, etc. it is clear why it’s not the panacea that hunters and writers push it as. However, if someone is good with a 4” max height above point of aim on a deer, they should be fine with a 8” max ordinate on an elk. It’s same/same.

Again- Maximum Point Blank Range is a “great” concept that falls on it’s face in execution, yet works just often enough to help people believe it’s a great idea.