A pretty good thread..........till it wasn't but I did enjoy seeing the critter photos and reading about the 140gr AB bullet's effectiveness.

Another one East of the ol Miss but I had/have no qualms on the 7mm08 (my choice of 7x57mm though) cartridge wise.......but until reading this thread I would have went with a heavier bullet weight if ever able to go myself. 160gr PT springs to mind.
Should I ever find a method and funds to still go for elk, I might have to rethink that but then again something else comes to mind as it has many decades.

"Shoot what you shoot well and bullet/broadhead you have faith in". and " If you don't KNOW you're going to kill that critter......don't shoot".

A LONG time die hard bowhunter until age shot me in the....everything, I like CLOSE shots and not just for effectiveness.

It's all about the memories made and the greater the excitement, the greater the memory IMHO.

At the range I'D prefer to shoot a bull (I mean come on.....bowhunters and black powder hunters STILL take them regularly. SOMETHING under 200 OR LESS yards shouldn't be THAT tough.....but I digress ).......I could probably just use my 175gr old school Remington Core Lokts, but still enjoyed the read.....for awhile.

Oh yeah, on my one and only ever gun hunt for elk, should it come to fruition.........I'd shoot one out at my max range (which is shorter than most I'm reading) and be thankful.

That said, one shot a third that distance would be closer to making my bucket list. I guess I could always try to go again, right? grin

As always, and probably for as long as I hunt.........it's HOW I take any animal that will rank just as high as getting one at all.

But.........like A LOT of posts past, oh......maybe page 6?....that's just MY OPINION. ARGUING with someone whom has come to their OWN opinion in their own manner is .......foolish, ....just my 2 cents of unwanted, unasked for but heart felt advice.

Whatever works for you........you bet, I'm there to say CONGRATS when it is all said and done.
How, when, what was used, distance etc........."proves" zippity do da.
I (and most others) would still "do it their way" and there is NOTHING wrong with that.

While I do not think along the lines of a some thinking otherwise.........I'll still give em the high sign and best wishes on their hunts.

BTW........we ARE going to see "hero photos" when this hunt is over.......correct? cool

Take that 7mm08 and knock em dead!
God Bless
Steve

Last edited by Steve692; 09/11/18.

"I realize that it is natural for the people who disagree with me to think I am wrong, and I am not so arrogant as to deny that possibility."