elkslayer - I've stayed out of the fray here because you were out on a very skinny limb. The guys responding to you likely have a collective 2-300 elk under their belt. They really don't need to defend their position - or listen to a Texan tell them how to kill an elk. The most salient point from all the responders relates to a bullet zero that puts a bullet on the margins of elk anatomy at ranges most elk are shot at. If you're comfortable with your system - cool. The overwhelming majority of folks here are not, me included. Apparently elk don't show up at close range for you. I'm hoping you remember to aim low when one appears at 50 feet. If not, I hope you have good tracking skills. For me, I'll keep my zero at something reasonable and dial or hold when distances get longer. I've yet to shoot an elk past 250 yards, and have shot more than a couple at less than 50 yards, one at 20 feet give or take a few inches. At those ranges, its hold on lungs, squeeze the trigger, go collect said elk.

Good luck to you.

Adversity doesn't build character, it reveals it.