Originally Posted by Dogshooter
Originally Posted by Formidilosus
While ignoring Elkslayer91’s nonsense, and acknowledging that MPBR is a poor way to get hits....

What he’s saying for elk is no different than MPBR for deer with an 8” zone. Elk have at least a 16 inch vital zone, deer around 8 inch. I see zeroing for a 8” MPBR offered as a great way to zero all the time on this forum (and everywhere else), and if it’s ok for deer- why not elk? And if you’re going to do it, why not maximize the range just like with deer?

Some of the posters are not being intellectually honest I think.

An 8” MPBR is still a recipe for misses, as far as I’m concerned.... it’s an old school philosophy that’s practical, but better left to Open Sights... and open sight ranges. I use a 6” MPBR on the Open Sighted Muzzleloaders.... that’s good for about 150 yards. The MPBR theory is solid, provided we don’t take it to extremes and try to cover all bases with it.

A 16” MPBR, means that for a significant portion of the bullets flight, it will be 6”-8” above the LOS.... and that +6” occurs at the ranges most elk are actually shot (125-275 yards-ish). I’m with Buzz, the vast majority of critters I miss/see missed in the field..... are shot over. 6”+ over LOS leaves a lot of room to miss with.

And the 6-8" high is in the dead zone and usually non-lethal....

- Greg

Success is found at the intersection of planning, hard work, and stubbornness.