Originally Posted by David_Walter
I also think that, in a market where you can buy a Fieldcraft that has 99% of the custom features that you used to spend $3,500 - $4,500 to get on a custom rifle, the value proposition has changed.

I've owned three GAP rifles, two or three from RBrothers, a 470 NE, and a few other top shelf items.

Fact is, for the type of big game hunting I do and the ranges I'm wiling to pull the trigger at, a T3 in 308 and a Fieldcraft in 6.5 Creedmoor cover all of the bases nicely.

Smaller game has ARs in 223, and 22lr 10/22s and 17 HMR bolt action rifles to cover that.

If you're paying for beauty, that's one thing, and one costly thing.

If you're just paying for function, accurate and inexpensive rifles are everywhere.

The Fieldcraft is tough to beat. It's not "cheap" but I agree that quality rifles like it have made previously "custom only" lightweight rifles tougher to justify for the cost.

Another rifle that's done the same is the Seekins Havak. Again, it's not some bottom $ cheap stuff, but it's really hard to beat what you get in one of them when you compare it to what a custom with the same specs would run.

The Ruger Precision Rifle is dirt cheap for the accuracy you get.

It's the golden age for off-the-shelf quality rifles that could previously only be obtained through a custom. I do think it's hurt the custom market and prices on custom rifles.