Originally Posted by 16bore
According to the masses...

There are a slew of scopes on the market, but it seems there’s only a few held in high regard. Obviously SWFA has cornered a pretty damn good market share. I reckon Nightforce is unquestionable. Leupold had/has its day and so on.

The art of the $300 rifle has been perfected. RAR, Savage, 783, Mossberg, Marlin, etc. easy to find a rifle and ammo that are plenty accurate.

But when it comes to scopes, there’s SWFA and ???

Are tracking and reliability something new? You’d think that for every $300 rifle, there would be a 1/2 dozen $300 scopes suited to the task.

What gives?

Because one man's trash is another man's treasure. I know people that kill game every year with $50 scopes. Now that ain't me but then I don't have too many $1000 scopes either. I also like Leupold and Nikon and even have one old steel tube 1979 year model Weaver K-6 which I like.

I'm not a turret twister though. I know leupold sucks at tracking, but once you set 'em they stay right there, or at least that's been my experience.

However, I'm beginning to rethink my modis operendie. My neighber is a turret twister. He has a Zeiss Conguest, I think a 4-12x 42 or something that tracks on a dime. He just killed a 285 pound 24 inch spread whitetail in Sasckatuwan (however ya spell it) Canada with his Mossberg .270 WSM with said Zeiss Conguest at 330 yards and he cranked the turret to the exact hold over and killed it DRT! First Shot.

But whether you're a turret cranker or a Kentucky windage-holdover master, what ever works best for you is what you should do. Just practice whatever you do to the point where when it comes down to the nut cuttin' you can make the kill ethically. So don't knock someone elses choice because he/she may come home one day with the wall hanger of a lifetime that makes everything you ever killed look like an antlered possum, LOL!

Last edited by Filaman; 11/24/19.

What goes up must come down, what goes around comes around, there's no free lunch. Trump's comin' back, get over it!