I'm willing to bet that there are more so-called sucky scopes taking more game than the more expensive "not sucky scopes" by a large margin.
Many hunters are happy with their $150.00 - $300.00 scopes that fill their tags every year. I am one of them. If I can take my favorite rifle out every year and kill game with one shot at 150-400 yds with an old 6x Redfield Widefield, I probably won't change that scope. I have done just that with the last 10 Antelope and Deer I have shot.
That scope is mounted on a FN mauser 98 action with a 257 Ack Imp. that I built. Of course it has a so-called sucky Wilson barrel on it.
I don't blame the guys for liking those new scopes that are pushing a $1000.00 , but I know very few that can afford one.
When I had my gun shop, I sold and mounted 100's of scopes and there was no way any of my customers would pay more for their scope than they did their rifle.
I also have a good friend that has a $4500.00 rifle and a $2000.00 + scope and he has had to buy a $1000.00 range finder to round out his equipment. I really enjoy shooting a 1000 yds, with him, and I am jealous, but am glad he can afford his equipment.
I just thought I had to say something in defense of the average shooter and hunter. The main thing is we all have the freedom to own our on firearms and use them as we wish.

thanks for listening,
Ken