Originally Posted by Judman
I think you got it backwards, folks that have success with anything but what YOU claim is the best, are liars....

Jud,

You seem to be suggesting a guy can't have hunting success unless they have "the best" scope, and since you've had success hunting there must be absolutely nothing wrong with Leup scopes. I may be mis-reading you on that. Trouble is, your definition of success may not be the same as the next guy. Nobody else is making the claim that to be a successful hunter you have to use the most reliable scope possible. As far as I've seen, Form is simply talking failure rates of mechanical objects in tracking and zero retention. Do Leupolds fail more often than NF, SWFA, Bushnell top-shelf stuff? IME, yes. Does that mean you can't have a very successful hunting career with a Leup? Heck no. Does it mean you can't have a very successful target-shooting career, military career, etc, with a Leup? Well no, but now we're getting to a point where a scope's mechanical reliability really starts to matter, and the likelihood of the scope holding you back is getting larger. Some guys like to use their scopes both for a lot of hunting as well as a lot of shooting. Your success (hunting) and their success (hunting/target) may require different levels of scope mechanical integrity. And that's not a slight against guys who just HUNT. But the reality is that their scope needs are different. I've had a handful of Leups go down on me, mostly zero-retention issues, but in nearly every case I noticed the failure while shooting targets.

I'm a German car guy. I'm less picky about my trucks, but I really prefer German cars to Asian or domestic cars. I've been using them for a couple of decades, and have had REALLY good experiences with them. They've never failed on me, and I have no reason to use anything else. I'm objective enough to admit that Toyota has a lower average failure rate than my VWs or Audis, but I'm still not going to switch because the German stuff has other advantages, and I'm willing to accept the trade-off wink Same goes for scopes. We all have certain scope attributes that we value over others, and have different trade-offs that we're willing to accept.