I spent a lot of years killing animals with a Weaver K6, Bushnell Elite 3200 and a Leupold FXll. Most hunting shots were at reasonable distances of 200yd or less, except for a few Stone sheep that were in the 400yd range. These were set and forgets and other than rezeroing once in a while, the failures were the bushnell fogged up on a cold Nov mule deer hunt, and the Leupold FXll reticle came loose and rotated.
In the last 4-5 years I’ve been doing a lot more long range practicing at the range and switching to Leupold LR reticle and CDS was not cutting it. It hasn’t really changed my hunting needs, the longest shot I’ve had since switching scopes is a 405yd shot on a big caribou, but the scopes I’m using now handle what I want to do at the range and easily handle my hunting needs as well.
I only keep 3-4 rifles and I don’t feel the same need to fill tags that I used to. So I’m a lot more selective of what animals I shoot these days. Because of that, most of my actual shooting is at the range so that’s the main priority for my scopes. Right now I use two NXS compacts and one SWFA. I have a rifle in the works right now and it will probably have a Bushnell LRHS on it.

Last edited by mod7rem; 11/24/19.