There were a few years when I was doing a lot more shooting than now. Mostly 308's and I was buying 8 lb jugs of powder and 1000 count boxes of bullets two at a time. I've had a VX-III 4.5-14x40LR develop a parallax adjustment that wouldn't hold shot to shot, a VX-III 3.5-10x50 get a dead spot in its horizontal adjustment, a VX-II 4-12x40AO get loose inside and need an erector rebuild, a VX-7 2.5-10x45 show considerably more parallax than it should much past 100 yards, an M8 6x42AO Target need a rebuild since I dialed it so much moving it around on a number of rifles, and more recently had an M8 6x42 make me think the barrel on an accurate 243 had crapped out until I noticed the rattle the scope developed. I also have a Swarovski Z5 needing service.

I have a number of other Leupolds that have given excellent service, some over a very long time. One is a Vari-X III 2.5-8x36 I got about 1985. Still works great.

Sure, I hunt from an elevated stand and happily shoot over a food plot. Nevertheless I have popped more than a few caps and have had a few scopes go bad.