Originally Posted by deflave
Originally Posted by Old_Toot
Originally Posted by deflave
Originally Posted by Burleyboy
I'm LDS. It seems pointless to discuss it here I just figured I'd stand and be counted. I get enough crap about it from my own family. They belong to a congregation called cowboys for Christ that might have 200 members. If I don't get baptized into their congregation and become a real Christian I'm going to hell.

It's going to be lonely for them in heaven with only 200 of them. They believe Christ vicariously died for their sins but think I'm going to hell for believing someone can vicariously be baptized for someone who never had an opportunity. They believe that works don't matter and that they are saved by grace but only if they do the work of being baptized into their one and only congregation.

They say God is fair and just and loves all of his children but think he's only going to save those baptized into their congregation. So if you don't live in Southern Idaho you are screwed.

I'll be spending Father's day weekend with them and can't wait for them to tell me the same old Revelations says you can't add anything to this book or you're going to hell. Then I say do you even realize how and when the Bible was put together. And, who did it and that Revelation might be the last book in it but it was written as a stand alone and wasn't the last written time wise in the Bible. BTW they hate the Catholic religion too.

A big part of me is just happy they've found some sort of religion other than partying. If they have to answer for how they treated us as kids they'll need it. It seems like my only refuge growing up was at my LDS neighbors home so at about 17 I joined them. It was a great move for me but to each his own. I know as well as anyone that LDS people are far from perfect but I've yet to meet anyone of any religion who was. I just think a religion should at a minimum ask you to try to be a better person.

Sorry if none of this makes sense but I've been awake all night in pain again and these long rambling posts help take my mind off of it.

Bb

Burleyboy,

No worries buddy. I am friends with a number of Mormons. I just don’t understand why they don’t want me to join.

Not that I would. But they could at least ask.

Hint:
They don’t like drunkards.

Old Coot managed to stay single and sterile his whole life.

LOL

You ain’t never not been wrong.

As always, drunkard.

The degree of my privacy is no business of yours.

What we've learned from history is that we haven't learned from it.