Originally Posted by 79S
Originally Posted by gregintenn
Murder among the Mormons
I found this fairly interesting. Worth a look if you have Netflix.

I told my bud about this movie. He’s pretty devout Mormon. Me not so much I’m pretty opened minded. I told him the church changed the narrative on how ol Joe Smith found the gold templates. When ol boy said he found the original writings. Yes it involved a salamander lol. But the church for a short time changed the narrative that a salamander lead ol Joe Smith to them. My bud got pretty upset about it and at me lol.. so yeah this is something die hard Mormons are not watching. It will make them question the church.

I watched that and really enjoyed the show. I don't think the church ever changed the narrative to the salamander but a master forger tried to sell the church a fake letter he forged that a bogus salamander story in it. First he offered it to some prominent anti Mormons and then tried to get the church to buy it to keep out of the other guys hands. Some church historians said it looked like a real document from that time period. However the church declined to buy it but an individual church member later did for like $40,000. He tried to get it authenticated but it proved to be a forgery.

Mark Hoffmann, the forger, forged all kinds of documents. He claimed to be a church member but openly admitted he didn't believe in God and said his desire was to destroy the church from within. Churches just like political parties sometimes get evil people on the inside claiming to be one of them when their real goal is to destroy what they can from within. Think Mitt Romney and the Republican party. Unfortunately Mitt isn't the only douche bag in the LDS church.

We get some treacherous people sometimes trying to hide behind the faith. Especially in Utah and East Idaho because con men see it as a quick way to gain acceptance in a an area with a large LDS population. I've had the joy of seeing them excommunicate a few of them. I personally like the fact that are church will still do that when needed. I wish the Republicans would throw a few rhinos out.

Sorry to mix church and politics it's just for illustration and comparison for those who aren't church goers. I personally run from people if they try to use their religion to close a business deal. When a contractor starts talking church to me I pretty much assume he's out to rip me off. Not just LDS either. My evangelical Christian framer that has scriptures on his tool trailer took me for a couple of grand a few years ago. If I'd have seen the trailer first I'd have hired someone else.

Bb