Originally Posted by OldHat

Combine that with the general incompetence trending in the ranks of the professional community across the broad and you get trust issues.

With all due respect, I and my colleagues have been dealing with patients' distrust for our entire careers. It ain't a new thing. I've had azzhats like TRH try to argue with me about every kooky medical theory under the sun on a regular basis for 30+ years, and I have long since stopped caring about whether they "trust" me or not. My response is to smile, and say "have a nice day" as I show them the door. And if they come back in a week or a month later dying from ignoring best medical advice, I use my best skills to try to save their lives with every skill and piece of information I possess, and I never say "I told you so."

It's not my job to make you trust me, or another doctor. It's my job to give you the best advice I can, given the information I have in my hands at the time.

It is entirely up to each individual patient-person to decide what they want to do.

"I'm gonna have to science the schit out of this." Mark Watney, Sol 59, Mars