Originally Posted by Beaver10
Originally Posted by justin10mm
I went to high school with two black sisters. Both very pretty girls and I think their father was some form of military. One day I overheard one of them explain to a white girl that they never could associate with other blacks because they where always being ostracized for "acting white". Both were dating white guys. She lamented that they were expected by other blacks to act a certain way in order to be accepted.

It's not solely a race issue. It's a cultural issue too. The ghetto culture acts like crabs in a bucket and tears down anyone that tries to rise out of it. They associate success and decency with "whiteness" and whiteness is always negative in their view. It's the old "house ninja" stigma.

Based on my life experience. This is pretty accurate.

🦫

My experience says it's not also a cultural issue, it's primarily a cultural issue. Again, that sentence starts with "My experience"

Nearly every person of another race that I've met, worked with, went to HS or University with, was able to act in appropriate manner for the circumstance............IF........and I know that's a big IF, they were raised by responsible parents in a good environment.

My folks would never let me act out in public, same for all my siblings. There was always the threat, and sometimes action, of the "If I have to take you outside" of "If I have to take you to the back of the store" . Back then at least, that was acceptable by society and a seemingly effective way of instilling proper reactions to situations.

There's a reason for the term "trailer trash", and it's not just because folks live in mobile housing. Plenty of good folks were raised in trailers, by good folks. However, inexpensive housing is attractive to the type of folks that don't have proper social skills and are therefor not good candidates for good jobs, better housing, and perhaps even for teaching kids.

There's nothing wrong with being "poor" either. Perhaps we didn't qualify for that category , but we were certainly on the lower edge of "middle class" and if the old man had gotten seriously injured or died, no doubt we'd have been down in the poverty level. But, we were taught manners, and to work hard, ride used and repaired bicycles (cars later in life) and to eat inexpensive food if that's what we could afford. That was the culture we were brought up in. And that's the culture the majority of those "non-white" folks I ran across in life.

Was it different in Logan Heights and National City down in SoCal. Yeah, it sure was for many. But even the folks I met from there were primarily decent working class folks.

That culture, that seems to reward outbursts of emotion, needs to change. Unfortunately, there are too few folks attempting to change it. Most that would perhaps like to.......... move away from it, and I can't blame them. Like my neighbor. I've talked to folks around here who knew his dad when he was alive. According to them, he was the type of guy to raise his kid right, so it's no wonder my neighbor ain't livin' the thug life.

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?