Originally Posted by Remsen
I've always wondered why blecks are the only group who have not been able, as a group, to make the most of their lives in the greatest country the world has ever seen. Most of them have been here for hundreds of years, yet they can't/won't speak the language properly, become educated or build wealth.

Asians sure as heck weren't welcomed with open arms yet they have succeeded. Europeans have succeeded. Blacks have been given trillions of dollars worth of help in terms of benefits, programs, handouts, etc., and they still claim that they need more welfare.

If you look at South Africa during and after Apartheid, you can see that even when they get what they demand, they turn it into a crime-ridden craphole.

I have no answers to explain this other than to assume that whatever else is happening to blecks, it sure ain't discrimination that has put them in the situation they're in.

1995. You couldn't hire long haul truck drivers.

I was a driver doing a quarter in the office, they ask me to go to the bus station, pick up an Irish family,and put them in the motel.

Tommy, Tom Jr, forget Mom's name.
They had flown to JFK with 5 bags and little cash, and a visa issued on a promise of a job if Tommy passed school and a CDL test. When they got off the plane, no one spoke English. They couldn't get help finding their bus, so they got on one leaving there.
Ended up in North Jersey, spent the night In a flophous motel that was raided by police.

I got that story on the way to the motel. Since it wasn't near any restaurants i told them I'd pick them up after work
and take them to get food.

As we walked into Hardee's Tommy ask me "What does that mean, that sign?"
It was just the board under the main sign.
Help Wanted.

Told him they needed help.

"Jobs? Jobs!" He slugged 16 year old (school graduate) Jr in the shoulder.
"Go in there and get one of those jobs!"

They didn't have the money to support the family while Tommy went to the companies school. So they all worked and saved, while renting a Motel suite in Carlisle.
In about 2 months Tommy went to school.
They soon bought a house.
In 6 months, Tom Jr went to a diesel school. Then went to work for the same company, with plans to drive when he turned 21.

The American dream!

One Saturday I talked to a black guy who came in for an Interview.
Old cotton sweat suit, spaghetti stains on the shirt. Nothing seemed clean.
Later, I asked the Recruiter if he made the guy an offer.
He exhaled,rolled his eyes "Corporate made me go talk to the Urban League.
Now I have to deal with the people who want their job search card signed. I
ask if he had one at the beginning, he did and I signed it. He was ready to go.
The clothes? He was trying to insure I wouldn't offer him a job."

One example, we had a lot of Black drivers, guys like me earning a buck.
But it represents a good chunk of the culture.

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!