Originally Posted by Steve_NO
so your solution, Penguin, is to slap tariffs on imports from the countries you don't like...

I think the old fashioned way of making products or selling services people will buy at a price that makes a profit is a more American solution. The government is not supposed to be in the business of picking private businesses to save from their own inefficiencies. And that applies to sugar farmers and mortgage lenders as much as it does to shirt makers.

Yeah, and it ain't supposed to be in the business of pushing a global agenda of free trade either.

Free trade with countries who play by the same rules we do? Fine. I can almost count them on one hand. And I have no problem with doing so.

But you better believe I would slap a big tariff on goods imported from China. They are a communist dictatorship. We, as a liberal democracy, aren't supposed to be in the business of enriching communist dictatorships and arming them to confront our children.

It is funny how other countries who have sponsored businesses which dumped products on American soil seem to get a pass from you guys.

Japan targeted our steel and electronics manufacturing and put it broke. They subsidized these industries long enough to bring down their American counterparts and now enjoy almost unchallenged supremacy. You see the Japanese weren't interested in 'fair play' or 'free trade', they wanted to win.

Which they did.

The steel industry was worth saving. I don't think we have enough left to actually fight a real war if we were forced into one. I'm not sure in a real live shooting war that the Chinese will be willing to send us all of these electronic parts to outfit our fighter planes.

We have a short sighted and stupid trade policy. Just like our energy policy. And our budget policy. And our foreign policy.

I don't think it is a coincidence that all of these short sighted and stupid policies have come together in one administration.

Will

Smellin' a lot of 'if' coming off this plan.