JB +1, if one wants to put alot of gas under a 6.5 a 264WM is the 6.5 that sets the bar IMHO.

I know at least one former wildcatter who has seen the pendulum swing and new powders/bullets begged the question - why fiddle w/forming and turning necks, etc.

If one has the time, they are fun. If not, a non belted small bore interest can often be well satisfied w/a non-sexy common 270 or even 280. The latter perhaps having better bc bullet options w/faster spun 9 twist.

The day 270s come with faster twists, and bullets become avail in similar 'same-same' bc/sd as 6.5s, the 270 may become all the more attractive to Loony's.

I wonder what the simple 260 and 270s would do in a 26" bbl w/120-140 gr vs a 6.5-06 using same in a 26" tube.

I know my 29.1" 1896 spit 120s ALOT faster than a couple of chopped ones I had...

As much as adding powder by a larger case, one can often add speed by putting adding a 'muffler' acting few inches of bbl, it OAL is not an issue for their hunting style.

No matter what round is used, at the point a speed differential of say 150-200 fps or so will come to play, those ranges ALL bullets at all speeds must be compensated for in trajectory POA so to get correct POI, one needs to dial/twist.

If under 600 yds on deer sized game, I'd just as soon run a 260 as a larger 6.5, as either one, the injun must get the dope, and if that is done, a bullet thru vitals of either will satisfy.

One only needs to ascertain the elk kill at 600+ by WVZ by a Creedmoor......

I had a friend who had a 98 done by Womack, he often seen pressures soar using various brass, as turning or at least checking neck thickness, esp. LOADED OD, as well as various capacities of different brand brass, and 25-06, 270, '06, etc. I don't like hassles so IF/WHEN a good supply of factory stamped quality affordable brass, ammo, and rifles hit the shelves in 6.5-06 I'd have no qualms running one.

If the industry/several major arms/ammo mfg. would support a 6.5-06, I think it would surpass the sales of 260s and Creedmoor's.

Shoot good bullets THRU vitals.....all else will be ok smile