Cocadori,it was never my intention to try to establish clear superiority of one of these calibers over the other(6.5,270,7mm)....only to establish that the 270 caliber is not as "bad" as some have believed it is;this no doubt coming from a lack of projectiles and suitably faster twist tubes.If I was going to have this discussion with anyone, it had to be someone who knew their stuff,and would be honest about it,which you clearly do... smile

This is the reason I have generally gone 7mm with a lot of my builds.

That said, friends and I built quite a few cut rifle barrels for 270 back in the 80's that were twisted 8.5-9,but for completely different reasons.

There really were no LR bullets available back then (by todays standards)....so I never saw a reason other than that,for the cartridge and bore size to lag behind the others,and it was always said to be bullets and twistt rate that caused it.

I know it will not likely catch up to the 6.5's and 7mm's in the target arena, because most (all) factory tubes are twisted 10,because that's what the cartridge started out with and factories don't often catch up with hard core shooters for quite a long time.

But anyone contemplating a new 270 barrel might want to consider a faster twist.....I wish I knew about the Matrix bullets before ordering my new Brux, which is twisted 9,shoulda gone 8.5....but I will live with it... smile

I suspect the bullet situation could continue to improve as folks become more aware that with the improved bullets, the bore size can acquit itself pretty well.

Another bore size similarly challenged is 25 caliber....bumped into an old article by Ken Waters on the 257 Roberts and he mentions that Ned Roberts did a lot of experimenting with all twists for the Roberts (and other 25's) way back when....he noticed it took an 8 or 9 twist to keep a 117 gr 25 bullet "point on" at 800 yards,and a 10 twist did not cut it at Roberts velocities....I have noriced that it can be tough to get some 117-120 to shoot well in a 10 twist at Roberts velocity and have long felt the old standard 10 twist in many 25's was too slow.

But old standards die hard and manufacturers keep feeding the same stuff....it takes the LR shooters and better bullets to flush this stuff out.

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.