Originally Posted by Cocadori

ya know J once these guys figure out the 270 can't keep pace with the 6.5-06 we might have to wait longer for our next rifle with roger...laffin'

While you Laddy O's are doing bunny hugs over trying to beat one of the world's greatest BG cartridges with an obscure invention that ain't seent the light of day as a factory cartridge....can you guys do me a favor,since I suck at math? grin

Sure looks to me like those lovely 6.5/06 rifles have barrels with faster twists than 98% of the 270's out there(twisted 10 since 1925);and the barrels sure look to me like 26" jobs,as compared to most 270's being 22".And I bet your comparisons might be based on 6.5 bullets with BC's in the .600's as compared to 270 slugs in the .400's or there abouts,and which have proved so woefully ineffective the past 87 years?

Well, since we should really level the playing field,it occurs to me you guys might be a bit out of date,it being 2012 and all.....so.... what has applied as generally true up until now, may no longer apply...Mmmm.

Wondering if you (or someone) might be good enough to run the numbers for a 26" 270 Winchester twisted 8 or 9 (whatever it takes to stabilize))and a 270 caliber 165 Matrix with a static BC of .7381? (BTW I don't know anything about all that G1,G2 stuff so you might wanna explain that as well?)

I could not find load data but suspect 2850-2900 might be doable from a 26" tube in 270 Winchester.....but hey, as long as we're gonna compare we might as well make those barrels even,huh? (I do recall an old very experienced rifleman/BG hunter who used to get hard on to 2900 with a 160 gr Partition and WW II H4831,from a barnacle encrusted pre 64 M70 270 with 24" tube.....but he only killed most of this continents BG with it, including a grand slam of sheep and an couple of grizzlies and alaskan brown bear......,so what the hell did he know about killing big game? confused )

Of course we could also talk about a 175 gr Matrix 270 with a BC of .7828,but that might need a magnum hull to move it fast and that would not really be fair, now.................. would it? smile

I would expect the 140 from a 6.5/06 to have a slight velocity edge, but that said the numbers may even out by the time we hit 1000 yards....no? Not to mention of course a 25-35 gr weight advantage for the 270,which really can't hurt anything,I guess...but who knows? whistle

I did not take a look at the new Berger bullets in 270,but maybe we want to throw those into the mix as well...?

Let me know how the "numbers" work out when you're done....if incorrect I stand humbled, but got a funny feeling you boys may be well behind the times.The "differences" may be a lot less than you think..... wink

Meanwhile I'll pour a Scotch and try to ignore the several million world wide BG animals amassed by the 270 Winchester despite such overwhelming "handicaps",while the 6.5/06 has struggled for even a modicum of recognition in the world's BG fields.....it sure does seem to do well on the Innanet, though.... wink smile

I have a 9 twist Brux going on a M70 action as we speak so this will all be of enormous assistance to me,for which I thank you, kindly... smile wink

Be fair in the comparisons now, no deck stacking cause I will call my pal Jordan in from Alberta to check the numbers....I may be a dunce at math, but he isn't.... grin

Last edited by BobinNH; 02/25/12.

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.