Originally Posted by Cocadori
Ran an estimate for the matrix (165)

the most velocity I could get ( staying safe using QL) was

2890 fps

at 500 yards (comparing to the Berger 140 in .264)

Drop is 8.5 MOA and velocity is 2289 fps

Matrix only has in in velocity by 12 fps

at 1000 yards

24.50 moa and 1770 same drop but only 107 fps gain.

not much performance for risking everything on one bullet.

Now since we changed bullets for the 270 I changed to the 139 scenar for the 6.5-06.

safely to 3087 fps

at 500 yards

7.5 moa drop and 2345 fps

at 1000 yards

23 moa drop and 1722 fps

Matrix only has it by 48 fps and that's the only gain and it takes 1000 yards for it to get that tiny gain.

Oh, I didn't see this when I responded in my last post.....you were ahead of me! grin Well OK it seems we have somewhat equaled the playing field.....I musta guessed about right at the 2900 velocity from a long tube....looks like they are pretty close.

Sure, it's a one bullet thing but my point in the whole exercise was not to take you on personally (you are too smart for that grin but simply to hopefully demonstrate that the 270 is not the useless, chump change LR cartridge that some on here make it out to be....and maybe draw their attention to the fact that a lot of what we think we "know" is a holdover from bygone days when the technology had caught up to some cartridges, and not others.....

Justa couple of years ago, we did not have these 270 bullets, but we do now,and maybe this trend will continue,challenging what we thought we "knew"... wink

Touche! And thanks for your time and effort.....You're a good sport! grin

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.