Cocadori,

I much prefer Hodgdon Extremes (or any other temp-resistant powder) for longer-range rifles. Reloder 22 is a great powder for accurate, zippy loads at normal temperatures. But when temps can vary from 85 to well below zero during hunting season (as I'm sure you've experienced in Montana) muzzle velocities that can vary 100 fps or more aren't all that desirable, especially at longer ranges.

Plus, I've tried a bunch of bullets and powders in my 6.5-06 and the 140 Berger VLD and H1000 are the most accurate, and not just at 100 yards. They group into 1/2" MOA or better out to 700 yards, which theoretically shouldn't happen with the 1-9 twist, but that's what they do.

By the way, the second most accurate bullet in my rifle is the 140-grain Nosler Partition. I've also gotten good accuracy from several other bullet/powder combinations, but none as good as with the 140 VLD and H1000, though I recently acquired some other match bullets (Nosler 140, Lapua Scenar 139 and Norma 130) that will be tried before next spring. Have tried Hornady A-Maxes and Sierra MatchKings but neither shot as well as VLD's.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck