ackley33806,

Welcome to the Campfire!

You're also welcome as a free American to dislike the .270, but you got into trouble when you gave as an example of its lousy performance a half-dozen deer that went "too far" after being hit.

My wife and I have taken over 50 big game animals with the .270 Winchester, including whitetail and mule deer, pronghorns, wild sheep, caribou, elk, moose and bison. A couple were poorly hit, so went a ways, but other than that none went over 50 yards, and most less.

In fact the quickest I've ever seen a moose killed was when my wife shot a Shiras bull with a 150-grain Nosler Partition, and it was a pure lung shot. The bull took a step-and-a-half before falling dead. Eileen also took a mature cow bison with one 130-grain Barnes TSX from a .270 (another lung shot), and it went about 40 yards before keeling over.

Other animals have died out to 400+ yards quite readily. The bullets have included every popular make and type in America.

What Bob is saying (and I am backing up) is that if you've had really miserable experiences on a handful of deer with the .270 the problem lies somewhere other than the cartridge and its bullets.

Oh, and I have a 6.5-06 and have hunted with it some, as well as a bunch of the 6.5mm rounds, including the .264 Winchester Magnum, as well as the 7x57 Mauser, .280 Remington and .280 Ackley Improved. Their trajectories vary a little, depending on bullet and muzzle velocity, but after seeing a BUNCH of game (not half a dozen deer) taken with all those rounds I have yet to be able to find any difference how well they kill big game--as long as the bullet's put in the right place.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck