This Leupold discussion has been, if nothing else, interesting. I get the distinct impression that the commonly documented issues are seemingly felt to be due to poor engineering. I think the more serious and problematic issue is that of Leupold's corporate philosophy and the direction given by the corporate segment to the product marketing, sales, product development, and production segments of the business is where the root of the problem is located. Scopes are nothing new and how to build a proper erector system and turret operations are no big engineering secret. I once had a long conversation with a then soon to be retired patent holding optical engineer who had worked for Leupold for a long time. He was with another company when I talked to him, but suffice it to say he had nothing but scorn for the corporate bean counters. It is my opinion that the engineers are likely pretty tired of sending a design up the line only to have the bean counters make it cheaper somewhere in order to widen a profit margin.Not saying it is all of the problem, but probably a greater issue than poor engineering.

I think the most significant post of the big thread was dirt farmer's post of Leupold nearly turning down multi million dollar military contract because of fear their scopes could be used to kill people. That is not the first place I have seen that, and because it is on the internet does not make it true, but that better be addressed, because if true Leupold is a dead man walking.

So two questions I'd like to ask are:

Is there any truth to the military contract discussion?

Would Leupold let their engineers design a properly engineered scope and have the beans counters be told to lay off the "make it cheaper " mantra? Let's see what can be produced. Let the prototype out to folks like Formiidosus to be wrung out beforehand.

I'm 71 and have used Leupold stuff for most of of my hunting years. It pains me a lot to see some of this. But I think where there is smoke there is likely some fire.

Thanks to Doug for having the desire and ability to tackle this issue.

Steve

Theodore Roosevelt: "Do what you can where you are with what you have"