Originally Posted by lapua6547
geedubya - how do you like the Blaser?

Short answer: I like them very much!

Sako's were my first love, got distracted with Coopers for a number of years, got my first Merkel K1, then came Steyrs.

I used to say that all my Merkels wanted to be Blasers when they grew up!

[Linked Image]

But that was before I got the K3 Extrem.

[Linked Image]

I like the break-down aspect and the return to zero of the scope mounts, and the ease with which that can be done. I like the multi-barrel option. I now have barrels in 243, 7mm-08 and 9.3 x 62 and am looking at a 300WSM. The triggers are excellent and they are easy on the eyes. Hardest part is finding them at the price I am willing to pay!

I noticed your S491. Those are not all that common as you probably know.

Years ago I manged to come by a S491 action for $300. I kept it for 10 years or so before I ever built a rifle with it. I call it my "Spare Parts rifle" as it is the only rifle I have had built, and it was built from spare parts .

Being a junk man at heart, I am always pickin' through other folks used items. Can't help it.

I picked up this action about 10 years ago. Never did any thing with it. The price was right and ya never can tell!

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Sako S491 action

A couple years later a fellow had a used Richards Microfit thumbhole stock for sale. Turns out it just happened to be glass bedded for a Sako S491 action. Couldn't resist.

Fast forward a couple more years and what with all the hoopla' I got the hankerin' for a small caliber chambering with a fast twist barrel. Turns out a friend had a 1 in 8" twist Shilen Select Match stainless barrel layin' around his shop. Even had a 223 AI reamer and a Vais brake (which he installed without asking).

Well, a few dollars traded hands, I pulled out an old scope I'd basically gotten free from another deal and tossed them into a feed barrel and rolled it down a hill at the lease. When I pulled the lid, dang if a Spare Parts Rifle didn't pop out.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Sako S491 action, Richards laminate thumb-hole stock. Twenty-six inch Shilen Select Match Barrel, Vais Brake, chambered for 223 AI, Burris 8 x 32 Signature Scope.

ya!

GWB

A Kill Artist. When I draw, I draw blood.