Originally Posted by Brad
You can't eat a S.A.D diet (Standard American Diet) and be healthy. It's impossible. And working-out can only get you so far, and won't reverse heart disease (everyone that eats an American Diet has heart disease). Drugs can't either - only diet can. Diet is king, exercise is queen. But it takes an entire re-examination of what you've grown up with... most people can't do it and just want another drug or fad diet which will change nothing. If you can make the jump it will be life altering.

That's pretty much a summary of the facts. Diet is indeed King. It's a transition to looking at food as fuel and exercise as maintenance for most days. You can still enjoy some things that aren't great for you, but you have to own up to the prescribed limits and choose to stick to them. Something like 1-2 meals a week that aren't good for you will work for many. The rest of the week is more strict, but can still be made to be rather tasty and enjoyable with some planning. Also, find smaller "treat" items you enjoy. These will satisfy that urge but have a minimal impact on your daily food intake. Much better to have a 150 cal bonus snack than a 800cal big-meal blowout.

As for me, I'm about 25lbs below where I used to be, and should be about 10lbs lighter, but am working on it (Covid pounds). To trim it off, I eat around 300-400 calories a day below my normal workday calorie requirement, and then I work out 3-4 times a week. It's not too bad and I feel a lot better than when I'm overeating. I get most of my calories from protein, eggs, meat, nuts, and vegetables/fruits. Most days I try to keep the carbs dialed back pretty hard unless I am about to go lift weights. I need the energy bump on those days and enjoy that rice/potatoes/bread. And I like knowing I'm going to use it up to get stronger. I grab a 200cal protein bar or shake every afternoon to span the 7hrs between lunch and dinner.

A nice trick for the "I need a big dinner plate" feeling is to swap out those starches for extra vegetables and cut the meat portion back a little bit. It's still a big plate of food, just better stuff. You don't have to feel guilty about it. I often do some dinner carbs for the kids, but pass on them myself or just have a little bit. They think it's odd to have a meal with only one or two vegetable offerings. Those microwave steamer bags of vegetables are great. You can drain them, add a touch of melted bacon grease and salt and pepper to create a pretty good side. Salads with meat are huge at my house. Probably 3 nights a week. Might be venison taco salad, might be steak/feta/tomato salads on spinach, might be grilled chicken over spring mix with fruit and avocado.

I eat lighter fare overall than what I grew up with, and it is a change in mindset. I still like tasty food, but found alternate ways to get there. Plus, those occasional big-boy meals taste better when it's time to enjoy one.

Good luck with your endeavors!

Now with even more aplomb