Originally Posted by K22
Originally Posted by jackmountain
Originally Posted by gnoahhh
Very nice. I especially like the fact you can drive right up to the shooting bench.

It’s the driveway into my place. I pull the bench up onto the driveway to get enough height to shoot over the damn cattails in my pond, LOL.
Just shopping for a decent front rest. That old wobbly Hoppes sure isn’t helping my game….

Ya, those Hoppes rests are a bit wobbly. Here's one that I have that works good. Price is more now than when I bought mine 10 or so years ago.
Front Rest
I use a hand towel folded once over the leather rest. It does seem to snug the forearm in and on lightweight rifles helps with the repeatable accuracy.

I'm not going to bad mouth the Hoppe's front rest. I have a couple of them. One thing you need to do to make them more stable is keep one of the legs facing in the direction you are shooting, as seen here in these pics:
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
If you'll notice, yours is cocked off to the side/diagonally. That makes it "wobbly".
Your front bag should also match up to the size of the forend your rifle has. Here's another front rest I have that I use for one of my AR's, because its lower and compliments that rifle better:

Here's another one of my Hoppe's front rests in action:
However, notice how the bag is too big for the forend of the Tikka... It's not a good match. The reason I have a couple Hoppes front rests and the bigger one I showed with the AR15..

On my short table (portable bench), I have to turn one of the legs of the front rest towards me for room. With it orientated in this position, it is still stable.

This is what the 52 did that day:

Thanks for playing along Jackmountain. I look forward to seeing how your Tikka shoots too. Good luck with your front rest situation. If it's "wobbly" because its worn out (the jacking screw or something), get rid of it and buy a new one...

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA