Originally Posted by smokepole
Say what you want about bikers on roads. I don't do it and I've had a few choice words for those that have slowed up traffic but it's what you call a first world problem if you're delayed a minute here and there.

I don't understand anyone throwing stuff at them, seems like a very low level of impulse control.

This strikes at the heart of it. People's indignation over the presence of cyclists is far out of proportion to any inconvenience they might suffer.

I could drive from here to a place I often go about 10 miles away. There is a 90% chance I'll miss at least one light cycle on account of a motorist who was dicking with their phone or otherwise didn't go when the light turned green. There's a 90% chance that a motorist will drift out of lane while in my field of view and about a 10% chance one will drift into my lane when I am beside them. There's about a 97.24% chance that a slow moving motorist in the left lane of the interstate will force cars to pass to their right. There's about a 5% chance I'll encounter a bicyclist and a very slim chance I'll have to do anything more than move over to go around them.

But spandex!