Originally Posted by PaulBarnard
Originally Posted by dodgefan
Originally Posted by smokepole
The Pittman Robertson analogy is a good idea but let's dea afine what the "fair share" for bikers would be.

First, quantify the number of bikes on the road vs vehicles. Then talk to someone who designs roads for a living and ask how much a road for bikes only would cost if there were no vehicles driving on it.

Especially heavy trucks.they drive the design specs and the cost.

Yeah I never put any thought into it other than "I wonder why those money grubbing pricks haven't done this yet?"

It just seemed like something a politician would be all over.

The truth is that we do pay for roads and at a level that is commensurate with the amount of wear we are responsible for.

Gas and use taxes do not cover the cost of building and maintaining highways. I posted a link earlier that shows how much of each state's use fees/fuel taxes cover. In total it's about 50%. Much of the other 50% comes from the general fund that my income taxes go to. County and local roads are funded heavily through property taxes and ad valorem taxes.

Paul,
I know you are tired of hearing it, and I am tired of saying it. Gas taxes pay for roads. General fund sources do not pay for roads. County and local roads are not paid from property taxes.

"Successful is leaving something in better shape than you inherited it in. Keep that in mind, son." Dad