Originally Posted by KSMITH
All that really has no meaning if the bicyclist is dead does it? Knowing he is 50/50 supposed to make him feel better while he is taking a dirt nap? I don't know where you live but around here, bicycles don't do so well when an automobile of your choice hits them. SMH

It is what it is. Whoever is at fault is going to pay. If the guy is dead, he's dead, and his personal representative gets the make the claim on his behalf.

And I live in SE Virginia and work for an insurer with a claims office in Chesapeake. I've been handling insurance claims in Virginia for my full 31 years, and am licensed in every state in the US that requires an adjuster license. I've been handling claims in Virginia, DC, Maryland, Delaware, North Carolina, and West Virginia, Alabama and Germany for the last 25 years, as well as other locations as needed.

My experience is that both bicyclists and driver are the causes of bike/car accidents on about an equal basis. Either group si more righteous tha the other.

The worst claims I'ver handled have been bike versus bike. Bicyclists colliding with each other on northern Virginia bike routes. I've seen some really bad injuries coming from bike v. bike collisions. Neither rider wants to admit they rode negligently. Both claim the other was a complete dumbass. And when it comes to property damage, they tend to try and outdo each other. "I was on a Lightspeed that I paid $10,000 for three years ago." "Oh yeah, I was riding a Lightspeed I paid $13,000 for two years ago." These claims [bleep] suck.

Last edited by 10Glocks; 05/24/22.