Originally Posted by Moto_Vita
Originally Posted by PaulBarnard
Originally Posted by Moto_Vita
Originally Posted by PaulBarnard
Originally Posted by 45_100
Not defending the people throwing trash but mixing automobiles and bicycles is a bad idea. Tucson considers itself bicycle friendly and has bicycle lanes. There are accidents at least once a week and the automobile always wins. Don't know the answer.

Serious question, what makes it a bad idea in your mind?
Tucson is indeed a bike friendly town with lots of bikes on the roads as well as non motorized bike trails, but if you watch the local news it's rare for a week to go by without at least one bicyclist fatality.

I'd be very surprised if Tuscon averaged one a month.
Looks like you're right, but...
https://www.kold.com/story/37063929/cyclists-react-as-tucson-rated-2nd-deadliest-city-in-us/

Those numbers are from 2017 and I didn't see where they counted the total number of incidents, only fatalities. I contend it is a bad idea because the bicyclist is at a considerable disadvantage and this is mentioned in the article. The mom who takes her kid with her on her bike admits she tries to choose routes with less traffic and slower moving traffic. This is responsible behavior on her part. Tucson is considered the most dangerous city for bicyclists per the article.
I don't know all the ways roads are funded, but fuel tax is the major source of funding. Electric vehicles and bicyclists don't buy fuel so they don't contribute in that manner. I don't have the answer but I think bicyclists need to realize they are at a distinct disadvantage and therefore need to take responsibility for their own safety. Expecting everyone else to watch out for them and obey the law is short sighted and can have serious consequences.