Originally Posted by Cowboybart
Nice thread, at the beginning. Good timing too. ER Shaw just sent a notice that my wife's 6-223 barrel will be arriving this week. I'll start with some lighter (70-85gr) bullets for her and see how things go. In the past, the 100gr RN has been the Hammer of Thor on deer and pronghorn, out of a 15" 243 Encore. Unless you're shooting critters over 300 yard, don't forget about that bullet. My longest handgun shot on game, was the Encore 243 with a 100gr RN at 286 yards. Pronghorn buck was dead before he hit the ground. The RN is the Rodney Dangerfield of bullets.

Bart,

I have got no shortage of bullets for this caliber....got a couple boxes of the discontinued 100 grain Hornady RN... and 5 or 6 boxes of the Sierra 100 gr SMP... a bullet I really like. If I could shoot 20 deer this year, ( in places like Alabama where that is legal ) I could take down deer and not use the same type of bullet twice...

There are few bad choices at all for this cartridge.. and at the range most deer are taken ( 100 yds and under ) it is head and shoulders over a 223. and with a bolt action, my only regret is not looking closely at this cartridge 30 years ago...

If I had had to serve in combat with the AR, I'd have felt a lot more comfortable with it chambered in a 6 x 45, with 100 to 105 grain bullets and a little longer magazine in cartridge length.

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez