I have watched for some time on this forum where people have very strong feelings and opinions about what is the greatest personal defense handgun. I�ve been doing quite a bit of thinking on this matter and I may just write an article on the subject for ShootersJournal.net. But I was wondering if anyone could tell me about your preferences for a self defense pistol. Doesn�t have to be just one gun. But tell why. What you require in a personal defense pistol and what you really don�t care about. I�ll start off with an example.

Primary carry gun / home defense gun:

1- LW Commander: In either .45 ACP or .38 Super. Reasons:
- Reliable
- Powerful
- Ergonomics
- Accurate
- Flat
- Light Weight
- Easily Customizable

I�m not going to make any outlandish claims that the LW Commander, or even the 1911 is the greatest pistol in the world even though one could make such a case and back it up. But MY LW Commander isn�t built to any military spec, is not used by any military or LE Agency that I�m aware of, and I really don�t care. The design is very proven, and my personal gun is very proven; that�s all I need. I�m not at war and I never will be. My gun will not be subjected to extreme conditions or circumstances. It will be maintained fairly well, and shot on a regular basis. It gets dry fired EVERY day of the week. For ME, it�s an excellent carry piece.

I have carried a lot of pistols over the years. When I was doing executive protection, often I�d find myself in a position where I had to carry what was handed to me, so I learned to be proficient with a wide variety of guns, and learned to trust them. It doesn�t have to be the greatest pistol that ever was, it just has to get the job you ask of it done.

I may follow up with some rather pointed questions about your thought process in choosing your trusty Roscoe; please don�t be offended, I�m just trying to understand.