This is a fascinating thought provoking post, Kevin. Some really good points have been made.
My choices are kind of broad based. They are based on a number of things. But first a few "rules" or shall we say considerations.
Where are you carrying and what are the threats there ? How difficult is it to keep that thing truly concealed but ready when needed ? What kind of tactics do you plan to use if confronted by something you must deal with which requires a gun ?
I've been a cop and still know lots of them. I was around when the Black Panthers got started, etc. They aren't really trained like an elite military force BTW. I know/knew some of the guys that shot it out with them. I've known a fair number of guys who were employed by LAPD and the LA county SO.
I've been to lots of shootings involving civilians, etc. Self defense, drunken arguments, you name it. I've been there and done that when we took down both low class and at least one high class hit man, etc.
Like has been said. If you live and/or work in a high crime area, that is not just different but far different than living in a quiet, peaceful community. I've done both and seen what a really big difference there is. BTW, crime stats don't tell anything like the truth in our big cities compared to places where I live now. Even our big cities have stark differences in the threat levels that you face when in them.
This all means you need to have situation awareness and you need to employ tactics which will be a matter of habit.
For example, I always lock doors behind me when I come home or leave. Always. When in a public place, particularly a restuarant or any probable robbery target, I'm aware of who is where and what they are like and doing. If I sit down, it always with my back against a wall, and watching the door.
My point is that a gun is no good if you don't see it coming. My second one is that I never rely on the gun as my only tactic. That means if it looks like something is about to happen, I/we are out of there.
Nor am I carrying a gun to make any arrests or to rescue those I don't know. Too many chances it will go wrong. And if it does, it goes really bad.
Guns and why ? I like the 1911's in .45 ACP. I'm going to look seriously at a Commander style like your S&W w/ a laser, or a Colt Defender. One thing some don't realize is that a 230 gr. .45 will do a good job of shooting things like auto glass or interior doors where the 9mm's don't I kind like that option. But, frankly, if I'm feeling lazy and want to carry something lighter, I like the 5.7 FN. Won't shoot through glass and doors, but it will do alot more damage than any .380 load.
Above all, they conceal very well, are availiable to either hand and can be operated with eiither hand. Keeping that gun truly concealed is something that is alot more important than some think. If you get made, the bad guys will think you are a cop, and the good guys may think you are a bad guy.
All this means is that which gun is important only to you. It must be very familar to you. Like an extenson of your arm. You must have complete faith in it. And you must know it strenth and weaknesses. Not hard for gun nuts. E