Originally Posted by Raisuli
Kevin,

You could be right. What I do know is that it was used as a police weapon before it was adopted by our military.

In contrast, the 1911A1 was designed to meet the US Army's specifications for a suitable combat sidearm. The 9MM was examined and discarded as being insufficient to meet the army's combat requirements. And from what I understand, the US Army is reverting to the 1911A1.

While the 9MM was once all the rage in law enforcement, when I retired from that gig, many agencies were discarding it for the .40 S&W and .45 ACP. Keeping in mind that my first issued weapon was a Model 15, that agency no longer allows revolvers, and .40 S&W is minimum. And after the infamous North Hollywood shootout, LAPD authorized carry of the .45ACP. My last duty weapon was an H&K USP .45ACP, which I didn't much care for because it's huge. I would have rather reverted to my P-229 in .40 S&W.

While the .45ACP was designed to be a combat sidearm, I don't believe the 9MM was. But I might be wrong. Either way, it ain't much a good combat caliber. I ain't heard the same about the .45ACP.

Buena Suerte,

R
I remember reading that the 9mm was designed to cause massive numbers of wounded enemies so as to slow down unwounded enemy forces in caring for them.